I Love You Forever

Title: I Love You Forever

Author: Robert Munsch
Publish Date: September 2000
Publisher: Firefly Books
Pages: 32
Price: $5.95
IBSN: 1552091090
Classification: Picture Book

Annotation: A mother's cradles her son as a baby, through the years, then finally the son cradles his mother when she grows old. "I'll love you forever / I'll love you for always / As long as I'm living / My baby you'll be." This is the song the mother sings to her son as he is young and she cradles him. Throughout the book which flows easily (with help fromSheila McGraw's sweet pastel illustrations that are both cute and calming). As the boy grows (and no matter what changes he went through) the mother never stops loving him and cradling him (sometimes behind his back as he sleeps). But when mom grows old, the boy cradles her.

Evaluation: I know this book is an incredibly popular tale. It reads easily and the print is the kind that encourages early literacy. Its the perfect bedroom, goodnight tale and definitely a loving tales for mom to read to their children. However for me, I didn't love it. Dare I say somewhat creepy? But, I think that it's a matter of taste. One thing is for sure, this is a beloved book and a favorite verging on instant classic for very many young readers. And the metaphor is endearing for parents.

Official Robert Munsch Website: http://robertmunsch.com/